The wind flows as an ice inside of me, it comes from my hands and foots. It was October in Germany, as day’s light despaired and the days become shorter. The temperate environment seems very cold, it looks like an empty place, but hopefully things getting better during the spring and summer. The street and avenue have many trees, walking is nice around the city.


Street in colors

October brough the fall, which transformed the street in colors, trees become yellow, red, brown, even some green remains. I was searching for birds waking around Berlin, but nothing, just house sparrows singing and flying. Also ravens everywhere, they are like chicken’s size, flying in the traffic light, walking in the urban area, even in the green areas.

House sparrows

Birds were despairing with the frozen days, only those more resistant, as the house sparrow remains in the winter time. Trees were losing their brown leaves and become without any but only naked exposed wood. Daylight became shorter, it began 08:00 in the morning and light go off at 16:00 in the coolest days. Somehow this scenario remembers me a horror movie, with a transfiguration of the tiny rain, wet street, gray days and many dark colors, including the clothes of people.

Colors of leaves

December brought the 0°C and the minus cero with the snow in the middle. The white color become the attention those days, it was beautiful but very strange at the same time, rain become solid falling from the sky, burning everything even my hands. Birds disappeared those days, almost none activity, only some birds feeding by people at the balcony’s buildings flew around.

Even though birds were disappearing from the neighborhood, I saw some birds at the urban Parks. Only after visiting the many Parks in the city, I realized that birds were concentrated there. There are many urban Parks in Berlin and also the street has trees everywhere, I can imagine the spring and summer as a lovely place with all around green. Even though plants are very monotonous, as far as I know, forest and parks are island of trees with most of pine tree species. 

Raven at the park

One of the urban Parks I met was Treptower Park, next to the Spree River was a spectacular vision, I was fascinated for his extension, with many lagoons inside, the ducks were there of course and others birds like Fulica atra and Gallinula chloropus.

Naked trees

Looking up

Owls means nature


Other Park was Nonnenfließ-Schwärzetal at the Eberswalde district, where I did not saw nor listened birds, but the landscape was nice and unique with swamp along the forest. I think the most fantastic view was the transition between the plants species between the forest and the swamp, lot of colors as a natural division between these two giants. Even though all relate with the temperate environment was new for me, I think the swamp and snow highlight the most. The swamp distinguished as a dark area in the middle of water, it seems like fresh water as it looks like, with trees, big trees growing along the water, maybe a stuck water, but somehow flowing too.


Mushrooms at the forest

I met a temperate forest, a big forest outside the city named Forst Grunewald next to Havel River, it was amazing and big, I cannot go long because was very cold and sun was going away, it was on February and sun was extending the days of lights again, also warmer days and bird activity was increasing. Birds were very active that day, lot were singing and can captured two species of woodpecker Dryobates major and Dryobates minor.

Nice walking

Dryobates major

Dryobates minor

It was very nice to experience those days, I locked some memories in my head, mostly from walked around somewhere, feeling the cold wind on my face, seeing the snow falling, running in the sunny days, the wind flowing withing the tall naked trees, the black soil, ducks swimming and as last thing, birds singing and changed their feathers for the spring. I met the North fall and winter, it was a beautiful, with lot of sensation and full of memories.